Search engine optimisation, also known as SEO, is a fundamental and essential set of techniques to promote your website properly. Without good SEO, your site will not rank highly in Google’s organic listings and will not reach its full potential.
We all know this. But here are some figures that really ram home the importance of good SEO.
To understand just how valuable your position is in Google a study by Chitika has found page 1 Google results collect 92% of all traffic. In contrast, page 2 only gets 5%. After that it’s just fumes.
Therefore, if your site is not on page 1 of Google’s search results, your site might as well be invisible.
There are 5 main factors which will make your site more appealing to Google:
1. Content – This is determined by the words on your pages, and the page titles and descriptions. Make sure you include your key words in your page titles and content.
2. Performance – The speed and functionality of your site: how long does it take to load? Is it working correctly? Are there broken links? Is your site safe?
3. Authority – Is the content on your site valuable enough to link to? Do other sites use your site as a reference?
4. User experience – Is it easy for visitors to find their way around? Does it have a low or high bounce rate?
5. The content that you publish on social networks such as Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google+ can also make your site more appealing to Google.
All of the above are factors that need to be considered when trying to optimise your site for search engines.
We help many of our clients with SEO and if you have any questions about how we can help increase your traffic please don’t hesitate to ask.